The Emergency Rental Assistance Program commenced on June 1, 2021. 

Another effort made to provide economic relief during these times, the ERAP aims to assist New York City households who are behind on their rent. Funds are limited so eligible households should not hesitate to apply. There are no immigration status requirements to qualify for the program. Applications will be reviewed on a first-come first-served basis. 

As of late July, the State has only distributed $130,000 out of the $2.7 billion pot they have available. More staff and priority has been put on the rent relief program to make the process more efficient. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply here.

Qualification Requirements include all of the following:  

  • Fell behind in rent since the COVID-19 pandemic began in March 2020
  • Qualified for unemployment benefits or have lost income and/or have an increase in expenses due to the COVID-19 
  • Have a monthly gross (pre-tax) household income at or below 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI)
  • The applicant is obligated to pay rent at their primary residence and has rental arrears (rent overdue) at their current residence for rent owed on or after March 13, 2020.
  • The household must be at risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability, which can be demonstrated by having rental arrears owed on or after March 13, 2020.


Households approved for ERAP may receive:

  • Up to 12 months of rental arrears payments for rents accrued on or after March 13, 2020.
  • Up to 3 months of additional rental assistance if the household is expected to spend 30 percent or more of their gross monthly income to pay for rent.
  • Up to 12 months of electric or gas utility arrears payments for arrears that have accrued on or after March 13, 2020.

If qualified, payments will be made directly to the landlord/property owner on behalf of the tenant. Landlords are also allowed to initiate an ERAP application for the tenant(s) who are otherwise eligible. Tenants will get a notification of the amounts paid on their behalf. Qualified utility arrears may also be covered by ERAP. 


You must start and finish the application in one sitting, there is no way to save a partially completed application.

Have all of the following documents readily available to refer to:

  • Personal Identification for all household members. Includes: A photo ID, driver license or non-driver government-issued ID, passport, EBT/Benefits Issuance Card, birth or baptismal certificate, school registration.
  • Social Security Number of any household members who have been issued one.
  • Proof of rental amount, signed lease, even if expired. If no lease is available then proof such as rent receipt, canceled check or money order will suffice. If none of these is available, landlord attestation will be accepted.
  • Proof of residency and occupancy – Signed lease, rent receipt, utility bill, school records, bank statement, postal mail with name of applicant, insurance bill, or driver license. Proof should be current.
  • Proof of Income to document income eligibility:
    • Documents demonstrating monthly income for the prior month, such as pay stubs, bank account deposit verification, unemployment benefits letter, or other proof;
    • Documents demonstrating annual income for 2020, such as a W-2 tax form from an employer, an annual statement of earnings, or a copy of a completed income tax return, such as a 1040, 1040EZ, 1099 tax form, or other evidence of 2020 annual income.
    • Self-attestation of income is permitted in certain circumstances where no documentation is available such as certain self-employment.
  • Copy of gas or electric utility bill, if applying for help paying for utility arrears at the same rental unit.

Landlord Applicants

Landlords and property owners will need to provide:

  • Completed W-9 tax form.
  • Executed lease with tenant applicant, or if there is no written lease, a cancelled check, evidence of funds transfer or other documentation of the last full monthly rent payment.
  • Documentation of rent due from tenant (e.g. ledger, etc.) or attestation on application.
  • Banking information to receive direct deposit payment.


If you are struggling financially and need help, contact our office at 718-539-1100 or email us at